The City Clerk is appointed by the City Manager. The City Clerk is the local Elections Official who administers democratic processes such as elections, access to city records, and all legislative actions ensuring transparency to the public. The City Clerk acts as a compliance officer for federal, state, and local statutes including the Election Code, Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, and the Public Records Act and is the Agent for Service of legal process on the City. The City Clerk also serves as the Secretary to Redevelopment Agency.
The City Clerk's responsibilities are:
- Clerk all City Council meetings and record legislative actions
- Manage the City Council's legislative agenda and documents
- Custodian of the City's records and administration of citywide records management program, including maintaining records and indexes dating back to 1918
- Receives claims against the City and service of summons and subpoenas
- Ensuring compliance with legal noticing requirements
- Maintain custody of the City Seal
- Maintenance of the City's Municipal Code
- Manage and respond to public requests for information in a timely manner
- Receive and conduct bid openings
- Provide administrative services to the Mayor, City Council and City Attorney
- Maintain the City's website
The City Clerk serves as the City's Filing Officer for campaign statements and economic interest statements as required by Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC).
City Council Agenda Notification
If you'd like to be notified when the latest City Council agenda is posted, please subscribe to Notify Me, the City's email notification system.